Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Seeing as how the Christmas season is fast approaching I thought it appropriate to have at least one post be on a Christmas movie. I won't even pretend to hide my bias on this because after you see the grade I give the muppets you may never cease to mock and scorn me. The Muppet Christmas Carol gets an A! It is, without question, the greatest Christmas movie of all time, runners up being The Grinch and Home Alone. I recognize that the biggest reason I love this movie so much is because it's a childhood favorite and it is hard to combat nostalgia. Nevertheless, I will defend my grade on more objective grounds.
First, Michael Cane is one of the best actors alive and he did a tremendous job as Scrooge. You can't have a good Christmas Carol without a superb Scrooge. Second, the original soundtrack from this movie has some real quality songs and it's no easy task to write original Christmas songs. Third, Gonzo is the narrator and he plays Charles Dickens - tell me that is not the most awesome thing you have heard this week. Fourth and final reason: the Marley brothers are played by the bitter old guys that just make sarcastic jokes about everyone...their names escape me right now, but they are flat out hilarious. 
It is a classic story with that muppet humor beautifully intertwined to create a near perfect film. If you never gave this movie a shot before try it out this Christmas season.

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie too! I'm glad you agree that if Scrooge is not played right the story isn't as good as it could be.

    ReplyDelete